Tuesday 25 January 2011

Day 2 in Brisbane, unexpected reaction Update 2

(Brisbane -Sculpture on GoMa complex, Library, Gallery of Modern Art, Theater, and University)
http://qag.qld.gov.au/



G'day dears!

last update was rather short, merely because I was running out of credit on my card.
I left the the black-hole touristy location for another spacey city. Brisbane is literally growing up, and every time more towards the sky...
In the meantime I joined the couchsurfing club (for more info: couchsurfing.com) for the first time, and had my first go into this world entering into a caravan. Which has been reserved for me for a couple of nights. I though I might have showed all my travellers' skills to enter this (half-)vehicle, and try to build a decent nest to sleep in. In that real moment I missed my civilized home, to be true to you. The 40-years old caravan is only towed a couple of times a year out of its backyard, just to make a home during festivals of any sort. Which means bringing back home some of the festival's vibes. And last time it was used was in August :-). Well, it became a mosquito's nest, together with a storage room for all odd things that can't find a more appropriate place, and at first I just wanted to run away and find myself a 5-star hotel!!! But then my sense of humor made me cope with what I found despicable just a few seconds ago, and tried to see beyond the fact that I was going to sleep in a pen. Good for chooks maybe!
Anyway, once I stepped out of the caravan I discovered I was staying in what was once a valley. Nowadays it has been paved, but you could still paraglide on it...basically to climb up the hill walking you would need a good pair of hiking shoes still. With the shorterst heels you could find yourself tumbling down. I am not a genious in measuring angles, but I believe this street is at about 65. Will show you the pictures...
So today I settled into the Queeensland Gallery of Modern Art (stunning!) and run into the spacey library where I am now passing my time updating you.
Here is 7:17pm, and the sun has set a good hour ago already.
Tomorrow I will go with an organized excursion to Fraser Island where I should be able to see something like this:

http://www.google.com.au/images?q=fraser%20island&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1024&bih=578

(Actual picture taken on a dune on Fraser Island)

I always shunned organized tours, but since I am here I am starting to appreciate this option. Is the only chance to see a bit of nature and wildlife when travelling on your own.
Which means I have not found a buddy traveller yet, and I lost my hope.
Have to say one thing about Australia that really let me down: it is very Americanized.
I was thinking of how much I wanted to emigrate here, right I know I think I won't be able to live outside of Europe for too long.

My oz no (just in case): +61450047292

Big koala-hug,
Silvi@

No comments: